Starting your assignment well is the first step to producing a high quality research assignment. By working through this module you will learn the six steps for choosing and focusing a research project.
- Identify research ideas that interest you and meet the criteria of your assignment.
- Develop an overview of your research idea.
- Organize your research and write a preliminary topic statement.
- Narrow or broaden your topic to match the requirements of your assignment.
- Develop a thesis statement or other guiding principle for your research.
- Develop questions that your research should address.
By completing the worksheets accompanying this module you will identify the best topic to use for your assignment. You will also identify the research questions you need to answer to complete your project.
For this module
The Information Skills Modules can be used independently of one another. However, before you begin this module you will need to know the following:
- What your assignment is
- If you do not have an assignment but simply wish to know more about information retrieval, you may find it beneficial to think of a topic that you can use to complete the workforms
After completing this module, you will have:
- a topic that is appropriate to your assignment
- a thesis statement
- a list of research questions
After completing this unit, you will be able to:
- Select a research topic
- Conduct preliminary research to develop an overview
- Use strategies for focusing a research project
- Write a topic statement
- Write research questions
You can start with any section in the navigation menu, but working through these sections in the order they appear will be the most helpful to you.