Too many resultts
Previous | Next
If you got too many results (more than 100)
In a database
- Scan the first 20 or so items. How many are relevant to your project?
- If more than half of these are relevant:
- add a term to your search statement from the next most important secondary concept category.
- look at the subject headings (descriptors, identifiers) on the most relevant item retrieved so far. Use the most relevant terms you find in a new search statement.
- If only a few are relevant:
- use an alternative term from your primary concept category
- look at your thesis statement and concept table - is your topic accurately described?
In a print access tool
- Scan the subdivision headings for relevant aspects of the broad subject.
- Scan the items listed under relevant subdivisions.
- Look for cross references to a narrower or more focused main heading for your topic.
More tutorial resources